This article explains how to use FoodWorks Nutrition Labelling and BarTender® Label Software for your labelling needs.
What you need to know
- How to use FoodWorks Nutrition Labelling software
For how to enter your recipes and raw materials into FoodWorks and create your nutrition labels, including Country of Origin Labelling and Health Star Ratings, see these introductory guides:
- Getting Started with CoOL in FoodWorks 10 Nutrition Labelling
- Getting Started with HSR in FoodWorks 10 Nutrition Labelling
- How to use the BarTender Label Software
This article assumes you know how to use BarTender® Label Software
(by Seagull Software). The sample data provided makes use of BarTender layers and conditional printing. If you are unfamiliar with these functions, it is recommended that you read Conditional Printing with Layers.
What you need
- The latest version of BarTender® Professional Edition or above. A free trial is available here.
- The latest version of FoodWorks Nutrition Labelling. A free trial is available here.
- The FoodWorks-BarTender resources (see below).
Get the FoodWorks-BarTender resources
To get the FoodWorks-BarTender resources:
- Download the ZIP file from here.
- Unzip the contents and save them to a location that you can access from BarTender.
About the FoodWorks-BarTender resources
The FoodWorks-BarTender resources comprise:
- CoOL Assets folder - 26 PNG files - Country of Origin Labelling colour standard mark images
- CoOL Assets BW folder - 26 PNG files - Country of Origin Labelling black and white standard mark images
- HSR Assets - 31 PNG files - Health Star Rating images
- BarTender Solution Demo.btw - A BarTender document
- FoodWorks Sample Data - The output data from the FoodWorks sample database
Quick tutorial using the sample data
This simple tutorial shows how you can use data from a FoodWorks database in BarTender.
You need the FoodWorks-BarTender resources (see above).
To see sample FoodWorks data in BarTender:
- Start BarTender.
- Open the sample document: BarTender Solution Demo.btw
- Click the Print Preview icon to view the sample labels.
Using your own FoodWorks data in BarTender
To use your own data created using FoodWorks in BarTender:
- In FoodWorks, publish your data:
- From the Tools menu, click Publish Labelling Information.
- Follow the prompts to publish your labelling data. Publish to a location that you can access from BarTender.
- In Bartender, connect to the data published from FoodWorks:
- On the File menu, click Database Connection Setup.
- On the Database Setup Wizard window, click Microsoft Access, then click Next.
- Click the Browse button, then navigate to the location where the file was created above.
- Choose the published Microsoft Access file.
- Click Open, then click Next.
- Select Use the wizard to build SQL statement option, and click Next.
- Under the Available Tables column, double-click fw_labels. It should move to Tables to Use column. Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- On the Database Setup window, click OK.
- When you add a new object to the BarTender template, now you can set the data source type of the object from a database field. For more detail, see this video.